Matthew chapter 1 is one of many examples where the Simple Kingdom, the Kingdom of God, is the utter opposite of this world's order, values and way of thinking.
We have looked at the genealogy and found some pretty unsavory characters among the descendants of Jesus--oh, yeah...they are like you and me. Think of it like this: If the list of biblical predecessors in Jesus' lineage was filled with wonderful, holy people, you could argue, Why did You come, Jesus? There's enough good people in the world--look at Your family tree--we'll (of course I am in that group!) get by.
But no. Everyone is fallen: people in the past, present and future:"None is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
“Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
in their paths are ruin and misery,
and the way of peace they have not known.”
“There is no fear of God before their eyes.” (Romans 3:9-20)
- Calls herself a humble servant (in Luke)
- Hails from a small town ("Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" asks Nathaniel in John 1:46)
- A virgin (Physically impossible)
- Pregnant before marriage (seriously sinful)
- "righteous, observing divine laws"
- "in a wide sense, upright, righteous, virtuous, keeping the commands of God"
- "innocent, faultless, guiltless"
- "used of him whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, and who therefore needs no rectification in the heart or life"
- "only Christ truly"
- "approved of or acceptable of God"
- "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Gal. 2:20)
- "And to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness." (Eph. 4:24)
- "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)