Monday, September 17, 2012

Are You Swinging on Your Perch?



“But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,  whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior,
so that, having been justified by his grace,
we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.”
 (Titus 3: 4-7)

     What is fun about having birdfeeders is watching the little ones show up.  The mama birds know where the goodies are.  I have been used to seeing all sorts of finches and sparrows happily dining at the feeders in the early morning and in the early evening.  But recently, I have see a bunch of young finches trying to figure out this whole birdfeeder thing.
     It’s not as easy as it looks.  If you don’t hang on the perch correctly, it’s hard to stay stable enough to put your wee beak into the hole and get the seed!  Think about trying to eat a plate of spaghetti on a wind-tossed ship and you get the idea!  The little ones know the seed is there and you can tell they are excited, but the actual mechanics elude them. 
     I watched one little guy who just couldn’t seem to get his footing right on the perch and keep swinging back and forth.  I could see a thought-bubble over his head:  “Nummies are so close…yet soooo far…whoa…”  He kept hopping about on the perch and then finally, his little feet were positioned correctly and no more swaying!  Then he could stick his little beak into the hole and find those elusive nummies!
     Not so different than the Christian walk, isn’t it?  We know where God’s goodness is--in His Son, in His Word and in fellowship with our brothers and sisters in the Lord, and yet, we just can’t get our footing right.
     Why are our feet not correctly positioned on the perch?  Maybe we have unconfessed sin in our lives.  Position your feet correctly with 1 John 1:9:  
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 
     Maybe God is chastening us to improve our character and remind us of our utter need for Him.  Position yourself with Proverbs 3:11-12: 
My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”
    Consider that your “footing trial” is to draw you deeper into Him to build your character.  Position yourself with James 1:2-4: 
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”
     Perhaps you are just weary, and need to be in His healing presence.  Position yourself with Matthew 11;29-30:  
"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
     How we endure the times of unsure footing becomes a testimony of Him working in our lives.  Position yourself on Psalm 40:1-3: 
I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
    and put their trust in him.
     Ultimately, if what we are seeking is peace, we need to go to the right "Feeder":  the very Prince of Peace Himself, Jesus Christ.  If we humble ourselves before Him, He will position us and we will be nourished in His Presence.  We will still lose our footing occasionally, but Christ is always in the business of restoring and healing souls. 
Prayer
Precious Lord:  There are days I just can’t seem to get my footing right.  Help me to be honest in my search as to why, and then to rest assured that You will reposition me so I may have life, and have it abundantly.  In Your precious Name, amen.

     



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...